ZigBee and ZWAVE wireless technology are applied in remote monitoring and control. However, their specification and application are quite different.
1. ZigBee can configure and realize almost all short-distance wireless functions which make it more general than Z-WAVE. Its application standard largely shortens development period of common application. For instance, ZigBee can be used in home automation, smart grid and remote control, etc. However, Z-WAVE can only be used in home automation.
2. ZWave chip can only be obtained from Sigma Designs. ZigBee module can be obtained from many sources such as Ember, Freescale, Microchip, and Texas instruments, Atmel, CEL, Digi, Jennic, Lemos and RFM.
3. Many members of Fortune 500 companies support and join ZigBee alliance while Z-WAVE technology alliance has less support. ZIGBEE will be promoted at a large scale. Obviously, ZigBee technology is going to be the trend across the world in the future.
4. The typology structures of ZigBee are mesh, stellate and tree. ZWAVE only has a tree structure. ZigBee can be used in direct communication. However, most application is based on stellate and tree typology structures. The master node controls other connections, if one connection fails to communicate with another connection, these two connections will be treated as repeater to link other connections in communication range. ZigBee has 65000 nodes while Z-WAVE has 232 nodes.
5. ZigBee has a more superior transmission speed. The data transmission frequency of ZigBee is 250KBPS while the one of Z-WAVE is 9.6KBPS.
6. Even though ZigBee protocol is more complex than Z-WAVE protocol, ZigBee has more functions. The single channel of Z-WAVE is not capable of this mission. However, FHSS technology of ZIGBEE can be used to its maximum. For the experts of building automation, this function is critical in apartments, office buildings and other short-gapped occasions. Because it stands a great chance that Z-WAVE network will intrude in your network.